1.26.2005

I need a harder walk


I was on my way home from work today and thought for a second I was walking with a little gay-ass bounce. I stopped for a second and was like, "aww, HELL NAW!!!" I ain't doing none of this bouncy walk shit.

The monatany of going to and from work I think will bring out the worst in your walk. It is so easy to get caught up in the herd mentality... "off to work, off to work, off to work, off to work, off to work.... then at the end of the day... "off to home, off to home, off to home, off to home...." I feel like I'm in a bad commercial or something...

As I continued to walk, I realized what my problem was. I was trying to keep up with the white folks.

White folks walk fast as shit. I don't know what it is. But y'all mfers be MOVING to get to work. running after trains, getting your briefcases caught in doors, spilling your coffee to get around people, spilling coffee on yourself trying to walk and sip at the same time.... I would bet money there has never been a colored speed walking champion. There is no way if you put the best of the white speed walkers in a competition they wouldn't 'walk away with it'. (LOL, I crack myself up sometimes...)

Its easy to not even realize you're doing it. I find myself treating the sidewalk like the highway. You never want to be going to slow because all of the cars have to move in this synchronistic way to keep the flow going... the sidewalk is a little different. You can stop, pull off to the side, whatever you need to do because there is an understanding that your walking doesn't affect anyone else. Your average everyday sidewalk doesn't operate like a road. Now, if you were in midtown Manhattan, it would be a different story.

The magnificent mile is a great example in Chicago of a herd of non-experienced city walkers in the city for tourism and shopping cluttered with work folks... its a nightmare. But most sidewalks allow for a specific amount of freedom, meandering and individuality. Thus the need for a harder walk. It allows for some originality, almost calls for it as long as you don't disturb the flow too much.

I think I'm going to freeball it tomorrow just to give my walk an extra dimension to see if that helps.

~C

CD of the moment:
The Time - "Pandemonium"

No comments: