4.17.2006

Extra Credit


So how come it's the people that are lazy all semester, sleeping throughout class and shit are the FIRST MF's to be all gung ho about some extra credit.

I'm thinking to myself, " Self, THIS MFer didn't do the REGULAR work!!! what in the hell makes me think you're going to some EXTRA work??!!" Actually, I can tell you right now, extra credit is a farce. Some MFer that slept all semester and barely showed up half the time, wrote half-ass effort papers and is obviously going to get a C in the class THINKS he can do the extra credit and magically turn that C into a B. shit ain't happenin' playa.....

Let me tell you who extra credit is for. Extra credit is ONLY for those folks that are JUST BARELY on the border of a grade... A/B or B/C. If youre grade for the semester is a D or a C, you most likely didn't work too hard throughout the semester and just barely did what you had to do to float by, ain't no way the extra credit is going to bring you up a grade.

The good part is, the extra credit is some real hard shit. It's interesting shit, and the sad part is that the people who don't need it are the ones who are going to go all out of their way to do it. The ones who need it the most, are going to copy it from the ones who made all the effort to do it.... slackers....

I've quickly become that professor who doesn't give a damn about those who don't want to learn. Ive decided that you can only teach those who want to learn. For example, I gave a pop quiz the other day and left the room for a second, when I came back in the room, saw two of those slackers in the back cheating... didn't fail them, but called them out and said,

"Y'all two cheating off each other is like the blind leading the blind!" and let them cheat. Now there is this other dude who has a smart ass girlfriend he's been riding all semester and I was on him like a hawk!!! But he really has the potential to be pretty good. Poor kid needs a fashion consultant (brotha wore a lime green suit to a professional function), but he's from the Carribbean so I forgive him. But he's a perfect example. His girl is an A student who will go do the extra credit... because she wants to learn... he'll copy hers and reap the benefits of her knowledge...

That's why the more I do this, the more I realize, grades don't mean shit. It could be the smartest MFer in the class that gets an A but doesn't learn half of the shit they could because they can get A's in their sleep. Then there are students who will bust their ass, learn a TON and just barely get a B because they can't write worth a shit. I've given up on a few, but I'll start all over with new crop of students again next year. I just have to figure out the losers a little quicker next time.

~C

CD of the moment: Dave Chappelle's Block Party

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now you have really hit home for me. what are these students think-ing!? Im teaching a course in multicultural education. its only a 6-week summer course. I have a strict attendance policy and one girl comes up to ask me if its ok to miss 3 classes - that's one-third of the whole short term. she wants to go some kind of international family reunion and can she do some extra work....NO! Just attend THIS class, girl! Dang! You can try to pick out the slackers earlier, but good luck. they are not always obvious. in this case she thought she was the top student living out what I was proposing to teach this summer - multiculturalism. then again, this is always the trick with "diversity classes." E'rbody thinks they got it worked out.