3.03.2006

Top 50 Musical Artists of 2005


Yeah, I know, it's March and I didn't do my top 10 CD's of 2005, so in it's place I've listed my top 50 musical artists / groups of the year.

This list is based on the artists that I played the most at home on my computer as tracked by last.fm. If you haven't heard of some people on this list, I highly encourage you to check them out. These are definitely the artists I was feeling the most as I played the most tracks by them.

Enjoy!

~C

1
Jazztronik - Japan's Finest
2 Esthero - I kept the newest album "wikkid lil girls" on repeat for months
3 Gaelle - Sexy downtempo vibes
4 A Bossa Electrica - My favorite mix CD of the year
5 Blaze - the masters of house kept it funky all year long
6 Tosca - 1/2 of Kruder & Dorfmeister shows you why Berlin keeps it funky
7 Jazzanova - More amazing breaks from Germany and flawless production to boot
8 Louie Vega - The undisputed King of House. I bought everything he touched this year
9 Edan - My favoite hip-hop CD of the year, and it was from the UK
10 Bah Samba - the phenomenal "Portuguese Love" remake was the highlight for me
11 Franck Roger - hot NY house producer right now who's been on a roll lately
12 Ananda Project - FINALLY got a copy of their remix album from 2004 and played it out
13 Prince - ..... no comment necessary
14 Lady Alma - HOT HOT HOT album which hopefully gets a full release this year.
15 Krzysztof Sadowski - weird shit I couldn't get enough of
16 Ladybug Mecca - The chic from Digable Planets does bossa, hip-hop, funk and more
17 Atjazz - UK breakbeats at their finest
18 Curtis Mayfield - the master
19 Dimitri From Paris - kept disco in style worldwide
20 Roy Ayers - the BBE releases of previous unreleased tracks are a MUST HAVE
20 Richie Havens - saw the Woodstock documentary and was captivated
20 Sweetback - Sade's band releases their follow-up, but the first one is still a classic
20 Studio Apartment - I need more info on these cats, but I love everything they do
24 Ryota Nozaki - side project for Jazztronik. once I got over the cheesy vocals it was cool
25 Kevin Yost - deep house done the right way
26 Beck - always on some different shit. I check all his releases for their creativity alone
26 福富幸宏 - Yukihiro Fukotami (i think that's it in english?) - hot Japanese break beats
29 Coldplay - had to see what all the hype was about this year and enjoyed the ride
29 Kyoto Jazz Massive - more hot Japanese beats
29 Mark Grant - Chicago house producer who transitioned to a chunkier sound this year
32 Manu Chao - brazilian vibes
32 Fela Kuti - the king of Afro-Beat
32 Kanye West - I actually LIKED Kanye until the egotism set in
32 Brazilian Girls - PUSSY PUSSY PUSSY MARIJUANA!!!
36 Björk - Got the greatest hits box set this year and was reminded why I loved her so
36 Quasimoto - Phat hip-hop rhythms
36 DJ Gregory - French House music for the masses
39 Los Amigos Invisibles - Venezuelan party music
40 Jazzinho - not sure where they're from, but they're latin-house inspired album bangs
41 Bran Van 3000 - weird downtempo
41 Butti 49 - erratic beats vs house music vibes. i love it
43 Roni Size - the original drum & bass man still going strong
44 Jamiroquai - new album was lackluster, but was good to finally get something new
44 Digable Planets - re-discovered Blowout Comb and never put it away
44 Sergent Garcia - y'all know I get my Latin vibe on from time to time
44 Trüby Trio - more German goodness. phat beats, cool tracks
48 Micatone - sultry downtempo that would make Peter Kruder proud
48 Bugz in the Attic - hot hot UK breakbeats for that ass
50 Lisa Shaw - FINALLY a proper release from the voice of Naked Music

No comments: