8.29.2005

My Cable 'Hook-Up'

There is an urban legend about a woman named Keisha who was the first African-American to be employed by a Kentucky Fried Chicken. She worked dilligently and moved her way up from cleaning tables and floors, to cooking chicken, to actually working the drive-thru window. Well one day Keisha's boss was giving her hell, which she expected from whitey, but he was really laying it on her thick that day.

Just at the moment when she was about to snap, some friends of hers pulled up through the drive thru to order some food. Rather than yell at boss man and risk losing her job, Keisha found another way to release her anger on the boss and on that day, Keisha invented "the hook up". Keisha's friends had enough chicken to feed the neighborhood all for the price of a 2-piece meal.

So I decided to step it up a notch and get digital cable... mainly because local news is less than stellar... not that Foxnews, CNN, or MSNBC are tons better, but at least I can go and get some news when I want it and not have to wait until 11:00pm..

So I called Comcast and received a flirtacious lady on the other end who I am assuming because of her speech was of the darker persuasion. Sensing this, I dumbed down my speak a bit to let her know that I was as well... am I ashamed of this? kinda. The bad part about it is that I could tell that she was forcing herself to speak proper English and it just wasn't natural for her so she'd slip up here and there and throw in something like, "...so here is what I'm finna try and do...." to which I replied, "... work that shit out playa....." she giggles......

Now one could assume that the specials actually DID exist already, but my girl worked it out and I could hear her working the calculator trying to find me the best deal she could. Layering promotion on top of promotion.

I previously had high-speed internet ($42) and the most basic of cable services ($15) for the sum of $60.70 per month. By the time my girl was done with me I had the following:

High speed internet at $19.95 for 6 months
Digital Cable Plus at $34.95 for 6 months (about 180 channels)
40+ music channels (you know I wanted the music joints)
Reduced cable box / remote rental fees
Free HBO
Free showtime for 3 months
Free Starz! for 3 months

.... all for the price of $61.93 and her direct line so I can call her back and hook it up again after my 6 months is up.

Thanks Keisha for inventing the hook-up, your actions from back in the day saved my over $40 a month on my cable bill and for this I tip my hat to you. Here is to you and cable guys / girls around the world that go out of the way to keep the cable bills of brothers and sisters as low as possible.

~C

CD of the moment: Platinum Pied Pipers - "Triple P"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn! I'm hating right now cuz the fact of the matter is "Keisha" doesn't hook up women as much as she hooks up men. I need to call "Tyrone" at Comcast and see if he can hook me up cause I'm paying $121 a month for cable!

Anonymous said...

Val -- TRUE DAT!