4.21.2005

the office buffoon

okay, that's not fair.

so there is this guy, who is obviously the 'joker' in the office and seems to embrace this role whole heartedly. I think he's of Latin origin from his name, but I can't be sure. I would say he's Latino, but I've developed an anti-affinity for that word, so until I know the cultural heritage he claims, I'll just leave it at that.

I understand (assume) that he doesn't have something as powerful as the 'minstrel show' in his history, so possibly there is not a reference point for him to recognize how he is playing himself. But there is historical precedent for the 'minority as clown figure' image that is very easy for others to buy into... maybe I'm not giving humanity enough credit, but I'm bothered by this.

Here is his office wide e-mail inviting people to happy hour:

"Aight beer belly, martini sipping, wanna-be fabio's and selma's, It's on this Friday nizite for them dranks they call 'HAPPY' will be poppin bout six sharp! It's my potna's, A.K.A. 'Shizane da Lap Dancer', last day at the office so we gonna be puttin them down with out the chaser and puffing on some of them fat cubans straight from the ricans.....not to say that there maybe a little bit of bump and grind.....I'll let that up to yall......oh yeaaaaaaaahhh! It feels like spring baby.
And for those who will not be in attendance, we'll be sure to dip one down for yall.
Outro.
Big Daddy....."


... You tell me, am I wrong?? I'm just disturbed by this whole thing and the stereotype he is promoting. I realized quickly where he stood when he approached me with a "Whatup dawg?" to which I paused then replied, "I'm fine, how are you?"

So don't approach me on some 'gangster shit' steelo like we go way back to our days from when we used to slang rocks on the block! nah dawg, this is a professional workplace, so lets act like it...

I'm going to hold my tongue for now and just let my actions speak, but damn y'all, it's 2005...... I shouldn't be stressing about this type of shit...

~C

CD of the moment: Miles Davis & John Coltrane - "Live in New York"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you were right. I do have some comments on this one. I, for one, get sooooooooo embarrassed by clowns like this. I mean it's cool to talk the talk with your "at work" crew, but to publicize your ignorance to the whole office via e-mail is disturbing and embarrassing. I'm embarrassed for him. Just because most offices have adopted a 'casual dress code' doesn't mean that they have also adopted a 'casual communication' code. His e-mail was not cool.

Anonymous said...

The above comment was from me.

Curtis said...

I feel the same way, just need to find a way to address it.. no one else seems to mind, obviously..