4.13.2005

I got crabs last night.

I know it's not the season, but I couldn't help myself.

So on my way home from work, I stopped by the seafood spot and bought a dozen male crabs. I still don't understand why they charge more for male's vs. females... is the size? the amount of 'mustard' that you get when you crack them open? I thought to myself, well, the males are only $5 more, so I might as well get the males?? There has to be a reason they charge more for those??

But I must admit, although they were good, it was sort of a letdown. I now know that this spot doesn't use REAL Old Bay, but some type of pseudo-grainy Old Bay that gets all up underneath your fingernails and burns. Plus, they are so much damn work!! I bought one of those wooden mallets, but didn't even use it.

After all that work, and you're still hungry when you finish.. I only finished because the crabs weren't even hot anymore.. but there are those few moments when you crack them open just right, no mustard inside and you are able to grab a handful of lump crab meat that makes it all worthwhile..

They tricked me because I think they use real Old Bay on their steamed shrimp, so I guess I figured they would use the same thing on their crabs.. now I know..

I could still smell them on my fingers when I went to bed last night....

Its good to be back in Maryland.

~C

CD of the moment: Common - "BE : Basement Elevation"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA!

Anonymous said...

HA!

Anonymous said...

For real, from the title of your Chronicle, I thought you got the STD, not the delicacy. Glad to know it was the latter and not the former!

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhahaaaa! Yes! I thought the STD too!

Curtis said...

I can't believe y'all...

the assumptions you jump to about me...

it hurts.....


it hurts ......... :(