9.01.2004

Back in DC

Arrived safely on the East Coast after a 13 hour drive and was greeted with

18 rounds of golf and an impromptu crab fest, can't beat that. I'm
currently staying with a former classmate in Baltimore who is staying in the
house of a friend of him and his boyfriend. The other guy who is staying in
the house is an ex-boyfriend of the owner. They were together 10 years ago
and when they broke up he just never left, and he's been there ever since.

There are also three dogs (all male) and two cats (one is male). So
including me, that's 8 sets of balls all in one house. But I have my own
room, an air conditioner and a place to sleep so I'll take it without
complaints

So here is the deal. So about 5 weeks ago I got a call saying there was the
possibility that there would be a teaching position opening up my alma matter,
but there was some uncertainties on whether or not
it would happen. So I looked up online to find out when classes would start
and saw that they would begin in 3 weeks. Which meant, if I was going to
leave I would need time to give my current employer the standard two weeks
notice and that would give me one week to get out to DC.

I thought about it over the weekend and decided to do it. So I was ready to
resign on Monday, but the boss was out of town so I had to wait until he
returned which wasn't until Thursday. This was the toughest part, knowing
that you were leaving, and having people talk about the next project and
having to act like you were on board for things that were going to happen in
the future when you knew you weren't going to be around. So I put in my
notice, left and came out here.

It wasn't until the Thursday before classes started did I know for sure that
I had the position. Luckily, since it happened so fast, there was no
expectation for me to jump in and have to teach the class. When all of the
paperwork gets finalized, it will be on a strictly part time basis which
will allow me to continue to grow as an architect with a firm out here. I
just need to find a place that will be open to my current situation.

I will be doing two classes this semester and two classes next semester and
since I have never taught anything before, I am merely watching and may
lecture on a topic or two throughout the course of each semester. I forget
how slow things move on a college campus so they are thinking I will not be
fully prepared to teach the class on my own for about three years. Next
year I should be able to take on a more active role in the instruction, then
by year three, I should be able to teach the class on my own.

So that's it, I'm sitting in class 6 hours a week, and job hunting the rest
of the time. I'm feeling good and looking forward to whatever happens next.

~C

No comments: