7.08.2004

treat yourself right

I had a helluva meal last night.. I mean, a HELLUVA meal, with impeccable service. We rush through dinner all too often. Good food should be appreciated, nurtured, and every bite savored when eating out in a nice restaurant. There is nothing like a 3 hour dinner to give you a little piece of mind. We had people on both sides of us arrive, eat and leave before we were done. I mean, you're going to pay the same amount whether you sit there for an hour or for three, so you might as well sit there for three. Here's how it went down:

martinis to start as we perused the menu full of things we'd never heard of.

1) some sort of salty palatte-cleansing fish soaked in butter

cracked open a bottle of wine from the list of 300

2) appetizers
her: crispy suckling pig with red grapes, homemade sauerkraut, pickled beets, heirloom apple and dill.
me: seared maine diver scallops with brandade, english peas, preserved lemon, slow toasted garlic, and pea tendrils

3) palatte cleanser #2 - Papaya jelly cube on top of a blackberry compote filled butter cookie

4) entrees
me: wood-grilled california sturgeon with yukon gold potatoes, spring carrot salad, dill and braised oxtail jus.
her: confit of organic veal tenderloin and crispy sweetbreads with cavolo nero, roasted garlic panisse, english peas, and caramelized rhubarb

finished the bottle of wine
-----
palatte cleanser #3 - truffles (chocolates w/ gooey stuff inside)
--------
a little bubbly to go with desert

5) deserts
her: fresh berries in caramel sauce
me: vanilla crepe w/ blueberries and hazelnet ice cream

after dinner drinks:
grappa for me, and tea for her........

damage: $189 + $50 tip = $239..... not bad.

you have to spoil yourself sometimes and not give a shit about the check at the end of the night. Trust me, it's good for your soul.

after that, we went salsa dancing in the hood.... I love women who are multi-environment friendly.

her: "what are you looking at over there?"
me: "who me? just checking out her dance moves that's all..."

~C

CD of the moment: Kemistry & Storm - DJ Kicks

No comments: