8.27.2003

I'm an expert at being black



So one of the bosses comes by around 3pm and says, "Can I talk to you for a
minute?"
I go over to his desk and he starts telling me all about this big
presentation that he wants me to be involved in for a project we're going
after. Explains the entire project to me and asks if I'd like to be
involved.

I'm feeling a little suspect because the asian contingent have been working
on this proposal for about 3 weeks now, then all of a sudden I'm being asked
to come to a presentation to present something I have no idea about. I say,
"Sure" and he says he'll pick me up at 6:30am the next day etc.... If it was
left at that, I wouldn't have known anything was up.

But since I have some facetime with the boss, I decide to shoot the shit for
a bit, talk about how important this project would be for the office, blah
blah blah...

Then I decided to utilize a trick my father taught me, by giving him an
opportunity to say good things about me. I ask, "So what made you want me to
be involved at the last minute?"

He goes into this whole speech about how talented I am, blah blah, blah.
THEN drops the bomb on me. "It is important that we show this client that we
have a diverse staff" and shows me who we're presenting to and the main
decision maker is a black man.

Then, thinking that he 'gets it' humbly states how fucked up it is that we
have to cater to our clients and bring along experts in specific things that
will make the client believe that we are perfect for them regardless of
whether or not we are.

I guess I'm an expert at being black and that is why I'm being asked to
speak at the presentation.

I got okie doked and I'm pissed. Because he knew if he would've asked me to
come be black, I would've said no.

Presentation was cancelled until next week, I'm contemplating my next
move...... what would you do?

-c

CD of the moment: Verve Remixed 2

No comments: