9.27.2002

looking to the future

Why did I spend the last two full days at work doing nothing but thinking

about why I don't want to be an architect for the rest of my life?

I absolutely love architecture, I'm just not happy with my place in the
profession at this point. Paying dues is a MF. But I look at people my age
(or younger) working less than me making 3 times as much, I'm thinking I
need to be working smarter, not harder. I understand it is the nature of
the profession I chose, but that's some bullshit.

So in the last 48 hours I've devised a new masterplan. For the last 3-4
years I've created 3 lifetime goals. 1. To be licensed by the time I'm 30
and I'm on pace to complete that goal. 2. To be a millionare by the age of
40. 3. To retire by the age of 55.

So I'm looking at my 2nd and 3rd goals and quickly realize that architecture
is not going to get me there. Now I'm at a point where I have to decide to
either change my goals, or figure out a different way to reach them. One
the one hand I think: I have so much more than my parents had and what many
others have at my age, I should be thankful and quit trying to be greedy.
On the other hand I'm thinking: Shit, these mother fuckers are half as smart
as I am, younger than I am, working less hours then I am, making 3 times as
much as me... I'm doing something wrong!

The internal struggle of whether or not to be 'thankful and not greedy' or
accepting the fact that 'having ambition and drive and a will to succeed' is
not at all being greedy and it's okay to feel that way.

So, how do I get there? I figure I have to get licensed first, before I try
to make any sort of move. Then I have to take some classes in Calculus,
statistics, economics, accounting, ace the GMAT, then go get an MBA. I
figure if I'm going to do it, there is no point in going anywhere other than
a top tier school (harvard, stanford, yale, etc...). OR, I could go to
school in Spain and live in Barcelona for 2 years... that way I could get in
with some sort of international company that would allow me to travel, gain
some client contacts, then after I've made more money than I know what to do
with, I can go back to architecture and finally do it on my own terms.

... it's just a thought.

-c

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.