9.16.2002

Osama who?

I figured out why I had my panties in a bundle over 9/11.  It’s not that I

felt we didn’t have a reason to reflect and mourn the dead, it’s watching so
many people just rise up and join the, ‘lets get’um and get’um good’ parade
against Iraq. My problem is that people aren’t critically discussing the
issues and rationally thinking about the situation.

For example, I just saw my main man Colin Powell on Meet the Press this
weekend and he’s stating that inspections aren’t the issue because even with
inspections we can’t be sure that he’s not hiding weapons. So how in the
hell at can we at the same time say that we are very sure that weapons
exist, when we haven’t inspected to find out?

Second, no one has been able to draw any conclusion between the attacks on
the United States and Iraq, but it is clearly known that like 13-15 of the
hijackers came from Saudi Arabia, and none came from Iraq. And now, all the
al-Qaeda people escaped over to Pakistan, but we’re still buddy buddy with
them.

And why didn’t we go after India when they made nuclear weapons? India and
Pakistan were on the brink of Nuclear war earlier this year, and we didn’t
fuck with them at all did we?

What no one seems to give a fuck about is why we got attacked. We were
attacked because people everywhere else in the world hate us for our foreign
policies and the way we pick and choose who to help and hurt all for our own
best interests. In my opinion, an attack on Iraq would only justify to the
rest of the Arab world what Bin Laden has been spouting all this time in the
first place!! To me, an attack on Iraq, would only make Bin Laden’s
position even more accurate to the Arab world.

There is no moral reasoning behind attacking a country that hasn’t shown any
aggression towards us and doesn’t seem to have the capabilities to do so.
If we attack Iraq, then we’re taking thousands of people that could be used
to track down the people involved in the 9/11 attacks, and allocating them
towards attacking a country that haven’t done anything to the U.S. It
doesn’t make sense to me.

I see a huge flaw in how most people are thinking about these attacks and
how it is being framed in the media and this is why I am so bothered about
everything I’ve been seeing for the past week. This whole thing is being
presented to us like we got attacked for no reason, and what we are doing in
Afghanistan is a REACTION to what happened on 9/11. This can’t be farther
from the truth. What happened on 9/11 was the REACTION! It is a reaction
to our policies in Israel, our sanctions against Iraq that have caused
thousands of people to die because they don’t have access to medical
supplies that we won’t let anyone bring them into their country.

So as much as our government and our media outlets are making it appear as
if we just got attacked out of the fucking blue because these people just
hate us and hate our democracy, the reality is not quite as absurd. But
these misconception is what is fueling all of the anti-arab rage around the
country, and it is getting on my nerves to hear these MF’s I work with talk
like Babu from the Simpsons every time anything Arab gets mentioned. Babu
was from fucking INDIA, he’s not even Arab!!! It’s the ignorance that I
just can’t take anymore. …. And folks wonder why I’ve got my headphones on
all damn day. I’m tired of all the Bush is an idiot talk, when people sound
just as idiotic if not worse than he does!

….. to be continued.

-c

CD of the moment: Ani DiFranco - "So much Shouting, So much laughter"

No comments: