11.26.2004

Students trying to get over

As I've been taking it all in, preparing for next semester, I'm starting to notice a trend. Its not like I didn't already know this, but being on the other side makes you look at things a little differently. Students will try to get over on you if you let them.

I'm not doing any more lectures the rest of the semester, so I've just been watching. Since it is my first semester teaching, I've only had to lecture every 2-3 weeks and I watch and take notes the rest of the time. So since I was watching this time, I had the opportunity to notice that the class started with about 20-22 people and by the end of class there were only 9 left.

I understand it is almost thanksgiving break and people are ready to go home. But that shit is just disrespectful. And the students think they're slick!! They ask a question as if to show their paying attention and listening, then they leave. Well, the professor saw what happened and in the last 15 minutes of class asked everyone to go down to the library with him.

He walked through the shelves grabbing books and give all those who were left a book to read and review over the break. Those not in attendance would get a zero on the assignment. If I were a student, I'd be pissed. But now that I'm on the other side, I can't wait to do this. As a matter of fact, I'm already scheming on how I can do this all of the time!

I see people sign the attendance sheet and leave. So I'm just going to take attendence twice on some days. Once at the beginning and once at the end. Or maybe I'll give a quiz at the beginning of class for those who like to stroll in 20 minutes late. And on other days, I'll give a quiz at the end of class for those who like to leave early. I'm even going to give a quiz at the end of class on things I just finished talking about for those who like to sleep during class.

I thought about trying to be the 'cool' professor, but fu*k that. I'd rather be hated and ensure that the people who left my class learned something. This culture of getting over and not having to work hard has got to stop. It won't work in real life, so they might as well get used to it now. (I sound like my father..... scary....)

~C

CD of the moment: Sade - "Promise"

No comments: