12.11.2006

My wine is the talk of the party!



The time of Christmas parties is always a fun time, free booze and free food. When I was single, it was also that time of year that you finally got to bang that office chic that you had spent countless unfruitful hours flirting with all year.

This year is a little weird because of how the holiday falls, EVERYONE is having their parties on the 16th which just makes it impossible to make it to everyone's party. So the choice has to be made to either not drink a whole bunch and make a quick appearance at everyone's party, which, while honorable and diplomatic will be a lot less fun as the majority of the night will be spent in the car, or you just choose one, the person that will probably have the best party and just stick with that one. Choices, choices....

Well, there was one party on the 9th which made it a no brainer to show up. So I roll up to the party, carefully parallel park, and as I open the door the bottle of wine we brought falls out of the car and rolls right into the only 24" opening within a half a block.... and the bottle fell into the freaking gutter.

Can you believe that shit? I wouldn't have either if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. It is an unlikely story that noone would be likely to believe. It really just sounds like I forgot the wine and made up some shit to cover my ass. So what was supposed to be a subtle apology to the host ended up being a group of guys, standing outside in the cold with every garden and home utility aparatus from the house trying to fish a bottle of wine out of the gutter.

We could see it a couple of times, so everyone knew I wasn't lying. That's all that mattered to me, but you know how men are... once they have a task or something that is defeating them, we have to stick with it until we win. I gave up and told the others they should too. Eventually I left two guys outside and went in to enjoy the party. They came in without the wine about 20 minutes later. Oh well at least my wine was the talk of the party!

~C

No comments: