10.20.2004

living in Baltimore...

For the record, I think Baltimore gets a bad rap. I have friends that absolutely refuse to even visit Baltimore, but it's not all that bad. Besides the following drama wouldn't unfold in just any city...

So I'm up late working on the Renaissance architecture lecture when all of a sudden I hear the sound of a car crash, but it was much much louder, then I hear broken glass, then it just continues and gets louder and louder and louder until I hear a final smash which was so loud I really thought it was inside of the house.

I wait for all of the noise to stop, then I look outside the window and much to my disbelief, there is an 18 wheeler located where there used to be a 100 year old brick wall with this intricate iron work. In front of the truck is a mini van that was crumpled up like a piece of paper.

So I get my shoes on, grab a coat and run outside to a smoking truck and I'm trying to determine if there is anyone in the van. Luckily no one was inside. After going outside in the street I realized that I had heard this truck clip a Blazer, smash into this mini van and dragged it for about 60 feet before it went through the brick wall and ended up in the front yard.

The people who lived in the house were out on the town so they came home, walked through the front door and the first thing out of his mouth is, "Okay, I know I'm drunk... but is that an 18 wheeler in my front yard?"

Anyway, living in Baltimore made it interesting because the crackhead just show up on the scene and start antagonizing the drunk driver who is already going to jail and start getting in his face saying, "Why'd you do that man?" or "What were you thinking?" or my favorite was the one who tried to get all mad. He says, "You could've killed somebody!! Don't you have any concern for anyone else's life?? That could've been my sister in that van!!" ... c'mon dude, as if being all cracked out gives you a right to point out someone else's faults.

only in Baltimore...

~C

CD of the moment: Fertile Ground - "Black Is"

No comments: