2.01.2002

thoughts at work

Random thoughts at work while I wait for drawings to print:


I feel like these times are devoid of anything anymore, like culture and
society, at least in the US, aren’t interesting anymore. It was like we went
through our tumultuous times 60s-80s and now corporations took over and its
all sedated and repetitive. Sometimes I wish I could live in another era
even if I would have to give up material comforts.
At least people thought and stood for real things..now anything anyone
thinks or stands for is dominated by what’s in "fashion" and what pop
culture dictates. Nothing is actually real.


Hollywood tries too hard to create something intriguingly powerful and new
when in fact they just are regurgitating old tricks and ideas no matter how
much they coat it all in the bizarreness of the characters and situations.
Art can be broken down pretty simply in my opinion. Maybe we have nowhere
left to go with art, music, architecture etc. Have we achieved all we can?
Is everything created just building and repeating the past, synthesizing it
but not creating anything new? Perhaps that's the beauty of this
“postmodern” world we live in. (Who the hell came up with that term anyway?)


One of my co-workers claims that 9/11 was the destruction of postmodernism
because the trade centers were pinnacles of postmodern architecture and
society. I dont give him much credit though he did smoke weed in the
bathroom at the Christmas party.


I think why people history is they feel that by vicariously living through
the mistakes, triumphs and failures of the past and their overall
experiences we don't need to follow the same road. Because in a way by
learning it we supposedly have lived it. Not completely but at least we are
informed, we have more artillery in our backpacks. I might be idealistic and
I am probably a fool.


I saw this girl from high school, cute girl, tall, mad pretty. She was
obviously coked up at 7-11 with some herb. I suppose she thinks coke is
glamorous but I think its pretty fucking trashy. Perhaps trashy IS
glamorous? People act like we are in some new desperate period, every time
period is full of desperation, people just never take the time to notice.
They are too busy worrying about their next promotion or the next happy hour
or what others think of them or how they're going to pay their rent or get
with that person that doesn't give a shit about them. Shouldn’t we have
learned by now from society's bouts with drug experimentation that the only
way to pave a new and interesting road is without drugs? I don't see the
fucking point. I'd rather enlighten myself than get enlightened by something
that some street corner capitalist hit me up with.


It’s all rather distressing, or maybe I’m crazy.


-c


CD of the moment: Me'Shell Ndegeocello - "Peace Beyond Passion"

No comments: