10.26.2006

settling in..

The new job is going cool.


The hours are not as crazy as a typical architectural firm and people are way casual... almost too casual. The pod next to me has played indoor soccer during the day about four times so far in the last week and a half. They wanted me to join in and represent my pod, but I'm a bit rusty on my footwork, so I took a pass.

I don't know if you know or not, I think I mentioned it before, but I HATE shitting in a public toilet. I mean, there are two tenants on this floor so we share the bathroom with another company, but even still, I don't know these folks in here like that yet, but I was forced to take a public shit yesterday.

The office folks wanted to go for burritos so I said sure why not. Lately, my stomach hasn't been able to handle beans and spicy shit the way it used to, but I still have confidence in myself that I can ya know? Kinda like when you're growing up and your dad still thinks he can beat you in basketball, but you know he's too slow, but he still expects to win? that's how I feel about my stomach.

So 3 hours later around 4 or so, I start busting my ass. Now if it was 5, I would've just played it off for the next half an hour or so, then bounced. But 4 means I have at least another 90 minutes to go. I bit the bullet and took the public shit. Then I flush the toilet.... and it doesnt' flush.

Water slowly started to rise to the top, then it stopped and went down for a little bit... so I waited, then flushed again... same thing.... water rose a little higher, then went down a little bit, but the toilet wouldn't flush.

Just as I'm contemplating whether to try again and risk overflowing or leave it, someone else comes in and locks themselves in the stall next door. So I'm thinking to myself, what if they saw me? what if they know my shoes? I can't just leave it here now right? I'll be known as the nasty MFer who doesn't flush after himself!!! He sounded like he was settling in for the long haul... broke out a paper and everything and I sat there staring at the toilet, contemplating..

flush..

don't flush..

flush...

don't flush.....

I don't know if I'm just stubborn, or what, but I expected that toilet to work the first two times, so I'm thinking it HAS to work this time right??? No.

I flush the toilet and it was like a monster flush from above. I swear to God it felt like two times as much water came rushing in this time and I saw there was nothing I could do about it... As the toilet starts to overflow I let out a "AWWW SHITTT!!!" as i watch all of the water flow directly into the stall next door onto this guys shoes.

I contemplated saying something, but I just washed my hands and left. I can only assume my "aww shit" gave me away, so now I have to work here wondering if someone thinks I'm the asshole who flushed shit onto their shoes yesterday without saying anything....

~C

No comments: