9.13.2005

house music mix for Katrina survivors

Last week around Wednesday or Thursday before the photo-op cavalry arrival in New Orleans, I hadn't heard from my fam in Gulfport (they're ok), people were laying in the streets dying, racist media coverage ran rampant, FEMA had done nothing, all I could do was just watch the TV and feel absolutely helpless. I had given money already, but somehow that made me feel worse.

I was just completely numb, couldn't sleep and simply had nothing to say to anyone. So like so many of us would do in times of sorrow, I turned to music. Not really sure if it was to escape, to release, or what, but what follows is me staring at my turntables for about 15 minutes, grabbing a record and pressing the record button.

I went back and listened to the mix tonight and somehow it accurately represents what I was feeling on that day:

anger
sadness
confusion
helplessness
hope

There is nothing incredibly new here, some of the levels are off, and some of the mixes are just "ok", but hey, nobody's perfect. I hope you enjoy.

click to download

Tracklisting:

1. Romanthony - "Hold On"
2. Filsonik - "Slavery"
3. Monday Michiru - "Higher"
4. Osunlade - "Pride"
5. Nike Jones & Kalim Shabazz - "Dreaming" (Shelter Vocal)
6. Human Arts - "Big Sur Highway" w/ "Dreaming" acapella
7. Glenn Underground - "Black Action" w/ Nikki Giovanni "But Since You Have Asked"
8. George Benson - "El Barrio" (MAW mix)
9. Markus Enochson - "Feeling Fine"
10. Serenity Project ft. David Blak - "The Sun Will Shine"
11. Jasper Street Co. - "Another Day"
12. Ageha ft. Jocelyn Brown & Loleatta Holloway - "A Better World"
13. Kings of Tomorrow - "Finally"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.