6.21.2004

My intern is a fu*king trooper!

My intern is a fucking trooper.  I'm starting to move on up in the world I

guess. I made a plea for being overworked to infer if i was going to
continue to bust my ass the way I was, I would need some additional
compensation. I knew they wouldn't pay me more, but they did give me an
intern.

Having an intern is a beautiful thing. It is a completely different way of
working. Instead of doing the work, now you spend most of your time,
checking someone else's work and making sure that you are keeping them busy.
It frees up your time and allows you to focus on the things you really
need to focus on and not spend your whole day typing up transmittals every
time you need to send out a drawing. I understand the importance of keeping
a record of who you gave what when, but transmittals take up way too much of
my time.

I thought back to when i was an intern and how working for someone else
usually sucks unless they respect you, give you a certain amount of leeway,
and generally make you want to work for them. So rather than focus solely
on the type of work I gave her, I also spent time focusing on the bond
between my intern and I. Not once do I brush her off or make it seem like
something else I'm doing is more important to her. I answer her questions.
I sit with her, talk to her and teach her. When she fucks up, I tell her,
"that is fucked up.", and now she knows better than to show me some
unfinished bullshit. She loves me. But most importantly, she works hard
for me. I let her know I have high expectations of her and she does
everything she can to meet my expectations.

But I think I may have pushed her too far.

See, we had a big deadline we were pushing towards and there was still a lot
to do. There was more work to do than we could actually finish, but that
was okay. I knew if we got pretty close, we would be in good shape. So in
her rush to get to the office by 7:30am to start the day, she stumbled a
little bit and twisted her ankle. As I roll in around 9ish, the other girls
are gathered around her looking at her foot asking her if it hurts.

I survey the situation then say, "It looks fine. You don't need your foot
to draw anyway. Get back to work."

Although I was joking, it didn't quite sound like it. So after everyone
left, she actually started drawing despite the pain. I go back over to her
desk and tell her she should go to the hospital to get it checked out. (I
should've made her ass check out a laptop though!) She calls from the
hospital 2 hours later........... "it's broken."

damn, I am such a prick.

Two hours later, her chunky ass rolls back into the office on crutches!!!
Comes over to my desk and says, "how much do we have left to do?"

I was stunned. she came back to work with a broken foot. No drugs. Pain
and all, and stayed later than I did to make sure we met our deadline.

Either she is the most dedicated worker I've ever worked with, or her ass is
just plain crazy.

~C

CD of the moment: Wax Poetic - "Nublu Sessions" (ft. Norah Jones, N'Dea
Davenport, and Saul Williams)

No comments: